Crowdpurr offers different types of playback modes for your Experiences. The playback mode suitable for your event depends on how you want to deliver your Experience to your crowd. Each Experience Playback Mode is explained below.
Setting the Experience Playback Mode
To set the Experience Playback Mode, first navigate to the green Settings tab on the Experience Dashboard. You can change which playback mode your Experience uses from the Experience Playback Mode area on the right side. Click the bubble next to the mode you want. Some of the other settings on this page will change depending on which mode you select.
Host Controlled Mode
This is the default Experience Playback Mode for all newly created Experiences. In this mode, the host of the Experience (i.e. the person running the dashboard during the game) controls which question is shown to the crowd. Only one question at a time is shown to the crowd in this mode.
The host updates the question currently shown to the crowd by either updating the Active Question selector (see below list of articles for more information on how to do this) or simply selecting a question's number tab on the Experience Dashboard.
Updating the Active Question will automatically update every participant's device in your crowd.
Additionally, if you want to show live answer results, show the correct answer (for Trivia Games), or show the rankings leaderboard (for Trivia Games), you must enable these views manually using the buttons (or keyboard shortcuts) on the Experience Dashboard or Projector View.
The host manually controls all views and the flow of the game using this mode. This mode is ideal for hosted or narrated live events for crowds where the crowd should all be kept in sync and participate together. A multi-question live crowd Trivia Game or Poll is ideal for this mode. The host or narrator ideally may want to discuss each question, discuss results, show the correct answer, show the rankings, and then proceed to the next question at their own pace.
Fully Automatic Mode
This mode is similar to Host Controlled Mode as it only shows one question at a time. However, each question is advanced automatically. Once the Experience is started, the host no longer has to interact as the Experience will run entirely by itself.
This mode is ideal for exhibitions and trade show floors, establishments like restaurants or bars, or any kind of passive/walk-up experience where a participant may join at any time but still play together with other participants. This mode is great for bar-style Trivia Games or trade show booth when you cannot actively monitor the Experience. With this mode you can simply loop your Experience to repeat all day or evening and even reset its results after each playback.
Upon selecting this mode, most settings in the Question Timer area are locked. Fully Automatic mode must use a timer to switch between questions automatically. Additional options in the Experience Playback Mode area are also unlocked. These will automatically show the various views after questions and decide what your experience does after it finishes.
- Show Answer Results Automatically After Each Question? - This setting will enable the Show Live Answer Results view after each question for four seconds. Use this setting to automatically show how the crowd answered each question on both the Projector View and Mobile View (Polls and Trivia Games)
- Show Correct Answer Automatically After Each Question? - This setting will enable the Show Correct Answer view after each question for four seconds. Use this setting to automatically show the crowd the correct answer on both the Projector View and Mobile View (Trivia Games only)
- Show Question Notes Automatically After Each Question? - This setting will enable the Show Question Notes view after each question for 6 seconds. Use this setting to automatically show any attached Question Notes after a question ends, which will display on both the Projector View and Mobile View (Polls and Trivia Games)
- Show Player Rankings Automatically After Each Question? - This setting will enable the Show Player Rankings view after each question for ten seconds. Use this setting to automatically show the crowd the rankings leaderboard on both the Projector View and Mobile View (Trivia Games only)
This view is noticeably longer than the others. If a Trivia Game has more than 12 participants, it cannot show all of their rankings on a single screen. This extra time allows the Projector View to cycle through an additional page of participants.
- Restart Poll/Trivia Game Automatically When Poll/Trivia Game Is Finished? - This setting will automatically reset your Poll or Trivia Game back to the first question and then restart your Poll or Trivia Game over and automatically proceed through each question. This is essentially "looping" your Poll or Trivia Game indefinitely.
- Clear Crowd Responses Automatically When Poll/Trivia Game Restarts? - This setting is enabled when the above "Restart Poll/Trivia Game Automatically When Poll/Trivia Game Is Finished?" setting is enabled. This setting will automatically clear out all crowd responses (e.g. votes, answers, rankings, etc.) at the end of each Poll/Trivia Game. When the Poll/Trivia Game restarts it will be a "fresh" Poll/Trivia Game with no crowd responses. This setting is ideal for repeating a Poll/Trivia Game for new participants so that old votes/answers and rankings are not kept each time the Poll/Trivia Game restarts.
Crowd Controlled Mode
This mode is the only mode that shows all of your questions to your crowd at once. The questions are displayed in groups of five and your crowd may navigate through the questions, then answer each of the questions at their own pace and choosing.
Again, some settings are locked, and others are unlocked. All settings in the Question Timer area are locked. This mode is meant to give your crowd as long as they need to answer each question, so timers for each question are completely disabled.
The Automatic Viewer Settings are all unlocked. The different views discussed above can be enabled or disabled, showing your crowd each set of info on their mobile devices after they answer each question.
The Automatic Restart Settings are all locked, however. Each time a player joins the experience, they are expected to completely fill out your Trivia Game or Poll. There is no need to allow each player to go through it multiple times.
This mode is ideal when you want to allow your crowd to play at their own pace without requiring and it each player to be playing in sync. This mode is great for exit surveys, online polls, and fun trivia games where the participants are not necessarily playing against each other at the same time. A trade show booth could use this mode to allow walk-up participants to take a poll or survey in order to get a gift or prize.
The question of your Experience are shown in tabs grouped by five, as shown below.
Other Helpful Articles
To learn more, check out these articles: