Great, you've added your questions and answers, opened a Participant View, and launched the Presentation View. We're now ready to run and test your game.
Running Your Trivia Game
You're now going to run through your game as a "dry run" test. Before we begin, here is an overview of the process of running a Trivia Game manually in Host Controlled Mode.
Remember in this mode you (the host) must initiate every action in the game in order to progress it along including updating the active question, Showing Live Answer Results (A), Showing Correct Answers (C), Showing Question Notes (N), and Showing the Rankings Leaderboard (R).
Your Trivia Game flows from question to question by updating the Active Question. Every time you update the Active Question, the new question's Question Timer automatically starts. Both the Presentation View and every single crowd Participant View will also update automatically as all views update automatically when you make an update on the Experience Dashboard.
Updating the question using the Active Question switcher
When you update the Active Question, your crowd's mobile devices will automatically update to the new question and they will have the ability to answer the new trivia question.
By default, all Crowdpurr Trivia Games run using our Countdown Timer Mode. This awards players points for answering faster with a correct answer. It also helps with cheating by rewarding players who actually know the answer and penalizes players who think too long or have to Google as they will be awarded fewer points or no points at all if they take too long to answer. Player rankings are then sorted by which player has the most points and ties are decided based on how many correct answers were sent. You can configure the Points Timer and other Trivia Game Settings under the green Settings tab.
For more information on the various scoring formats offered for Trivia Games, please visit the following article - Trivia Game Settings - Trivia Format
Step By Step Process For Each Question
Your Trivia Game's flow will proceed according to the following steps. Each of these steps is covered in the next few articles of this tutorial so you don't need to do these now.
- Start your Trivia Game. Starting your Trivia Game will open the game for live answering on the crowd's mobile devices and also trigger the first question's Question Timer.
- Question Timer counts down. Allow time for your crowd to answer the question. By default, the Question Timer is set at 15 seconds. When the timer expires, your crowd can no longer answer the question and you can proceed to the next step.
- Show the Live Answer Results (A). This will display on the Presentation View and Participant Views.
- Show the Correct Answer (C). This will display on the Presentation View and Participant Views.
- Show the Question Notes (N). This will display on the Presentation View and Participant Views.
- Show the Rankings Leaderboard (R). This will display on the Presentation View and Participant Views. This is the last step for each question of your Trivia Game.
- You're now ready to proceed to the next question. Update the Active Question to the next question. This will automatically reset any Views enabled in steps 3 - 5.
- Repeat steps 2 - 6 until the end of your last question.
- Show the final Player Rankings (R) for the Trivia Game on the Presentation View and Participant Views.
- Finalize your Trivia Game.
Testing Your Game
Using the above game flow, you (and as many friends and colleagues as you like) can actually enter and play your Trivia Game from their mobile devices or the Participant View you opened from the Experience Dashboard. So go ahead and invite friends or coworkers once you've tested your Trivia Game a few times and are familiar enough to run a live game! Or you can test your game by yourself. In the next few steps, we'll learn about each of the above steps in order to test your Trivia Game. The last step will be learning how to reset your Trivia Game and clear out any crowd responses from your dry runs.
We're now ready to go to the first step in actually testing our Trivia Game. Go to Starting & Pausing the Trivia Game.